The 20th Annual WSOY Community Food Drive, to be held on October 8th, will continue to collect monetary donations only in response to growing need and COVID-19.
September 3, 2020 – WSOY and our community partners, ADM, First Mid Bank and Trust/First Mid Insurance Group, Skeff Distributing, Jones & Thomas/JTnet, Decatur Back & Neck Center, TicketsN Trips, First Christian Church, Dale’s Southlake Pharmacy & Colee’s Corner Drugs, DynaGraphics,Kroger, Herald & Review, WAND-TV, The Community Foundation of Macon County and the United Way are pleased to announce the details for our annual food drive on October 8th, 2021, 6AM- 6PM at Airport Plaza Kroger on Rt. 36 in Decatur.
Due to rising cases of COVID-19 in our community, the WSOY Community Food Drive wants to ensure a safe event, while also ensuring the ability to provide for our community food banks during this time of need.
Because of this, The WSOY Community Food Drive is asking for monetary donations only. The reason is fourfold:
• Purchasing Power – Thanks to a partnership with the Central Illinois Food Bank, Decatur foodbanks will be able to purchase food for .19 per pound. This means $1 can purchase 5lbs of food!
• Avoiding Waste – Continuing to use a “cash” only system allows the pantries to purchasegoods they need the most on an as-needed basis and as their space allows, eliminating the need for off-site storage and the risk of expiration and contamination.
• Minimizing Manpower – The WSOY Community Food Drive has always been blessed with hundreds of volunteers. However, due the risks associated with COVID, we feel it is necessary to minimize the amount of manpower on site. By collecting monetary donations only, we can cut our manpower by over half.
Last year, thanks to cash donations and the added purchasing power, an equivalent of over 3.2 million pounds of food were raised during our twelve hours of broadcast. This year, we hope to exceed that amount through your monetary donations! Every cent raised goes to the purchase of food!
Last year, because of the wonderful generosity of the community, the WSOY Community Food Drive was able to assist Catholic Charities Food Pantry, The Salvation Army Food Pantry, Good Samaritan Inn, Northeast Community Fund, Extended Hands/Reasonable Services, Crossing Healthcare Prescription Gardens, Big Blue Backpacks, Mt Zion Food Pantry, AMELCA, Helping Hands Food Pantry, Moundford Food Pantry, Gods Shelter of Love, Blue Mound Food Pantry and more.
Thanks to our community partners, we can again offer a substantial financial award to the top five local schools that collect the most monetary donations for our drive. Individuals and groups can collect donations ahead of time or come out to Kroger that day and make a donation in the name of a school. The top five schools that generate the most donations will be awarded a cash prize. Anyone can help support their favorite school by donating in the name of the school. Parents, grandparents, booster clubs, bands, athletic teams and teachers can and will make the difference. All Macon County Schools grades K-12 are eligible to participate.
This year’s cash awards are as follows:1st Place – $2,500
2nd Place – $1,500 3rd Place – $1,000 4th Place – $750 5th Place – $500
Last year’s winners were (1st) Eisenhower High School (2nd) St. Teresa High School (3rd) Mt. Zion High School (4th) Holy Family (5th) MacArthur High School.
How you can help the 20th Annual WSOY Community Food Drive:
- You can participate by making a monetary donation. Checks can be made to the United Way c/o WSOY Community Food drive. Checks can be mailed to 201 W Eldorado St., Decatur IL 62522
- GIVE ONLINE NOW! You can make an online donation HERE or by going to the Food Drive page at NowDecatur.com
- On October 8th, we will be able to collect your monetary donation by cash, check or charge at Kroger on Rt. 36. We will also have a phone line available that day for phone donations and pledges.
- Companies and organizations can consider an employee match contribution.
- If your business has a marquis, sow your support by displaying “WSOY Community FoodDrive, October 8, 2021. 6am-6pm Kroger Rt. 36 East”
- Let us know if your company is doing a special promotion or fundraiser for the food drive so we can share it! You can email details to firstname.lastname@example.org
For charities interested in receiving funding from the 2021 WSOY Community Food Drive, a fund distribution application will be available NowDecatur.com beginning September 24th.
For more information:
Debbie Bogle 217- 422 – 8537 email@example.com
Lindsay Romano 217- 972 – 1992 firstname.lastname@example.org