The Golden K Kiwanis Club of Decatur has announced its program schedule and community involvement for January:
• On January 3rd, Abby Koester, Development Director for Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central Illinois, will share the impact that the Ronald McDonald House has had on families in Macon County.
• On January 10th, Hypnotherapist Grant Bullock will explain what Hypnotherapy is, and how it can be used to relieve stress in a person’s life.
• On January 17th, Nancy Peterson, retired Librarian from MacArthur HighSchool will introduce us to “Books Between Bites,” which has been organized by the Friends of the Decatur Public Library. Rather than being a standard book club, a speaker comes in to present a book or topic. They meet the first Wednesday of each month at 12:15pm in the Madden Auditorium at the Decatur Public Library.
• On January 24th, Angela Corrigan, Caregiver Advisor at the Macon County Health Department, will discuss the Caregiver/ Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Program. It should be noted that this Caregiver program was recently recognized by the East Central Illinois Area Agency on Aging for their fine work.
• And on January 31st, Amy McKinney, Administrator/Inspector, and Tracy Sumpter, Director at Macon County Environmental Management will review the many ways we can recycle and reduce the amount of waste in our community.
Speaking of recycling, the Golden K Kiwanis Club of Decatur has long been involved in saving plastic bottle caps and turning them into park benches. Normally, it takes about 200 pounds of plastic bottle caps to make a park bench. So far, benches have been produced for MacArthur High School, Argenta-Oreana Elementary School, Holy Family School, Stephen Decatur Middle School, the Decatur Quilters Guild, and the Scovill Zoo Petting Zoo. In addition, bottle caps have been given to Muffley Elementary School and Warrensburg-Latham High School to help them get benches. If there are any schools, organizations, or businesses that are interested in this program, they can contact Golden K Kiwanis of Decatur through their Facebook page.
Golden K Kiwanis of Decatur enjoys changing our world for the better – by helping children and others. They are involved in supporting over 40 local organizations and activities. Programs and presenters are subject to change without notice.
Meetings are held every Wednesday morning with a fellowship hour starting at 8:30 am and a program starting at 9:30 am at the Salvation Army, 229 W. Main Street. Anyone who is interested in serving our community is invited to attend.